[BC] IBUZ on another station daytime

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Mon Oct 31 16:21:34 CST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/2005 1:26:52 PM Central Standard Time,
engineer at nycradio.com writes:

There  has been a lot of talk (by me included) that IBOC is not the
answer for  AM. Especially if we can't do it at night. I'm wondering what
-is- the  answer for AM? In my mind one of the bells and whistles we need
to be cool  is a way to put data on the radio display.

Stu  Engelke

While driving between Portland, Maine and Scranton, PA last Saturday I was
NW of Boston on I-495 I was listening to a station with the "Legends" format on
 1490 and as I drove around a noise came up on the music programming.  It
was the background "I-buzz" right under the music.  No splatter just  noise.  It
so happend that there was a talk station that was running HD  Radio on 1470
kHz.  the HD noise interferred with the music.   I  may have the frequencies
mixed up  it may have been 1450 and 1420  kHz.  anyway  it wasn't the normal
over modulation sideband splatter  it was the actual noise below the music.
This is the first time I  have heard what it may do to local nearby channels. I
was listening on a factory  radio in a new Ford Taurus.

  I have heard the noise while in Atlanta listening last winter to  WLAC
Nashville on 1510 with the noise interference on channel from the WSAI  1530,
Cincinatti until they turned off at 6PM EST.

There has to be some way to have this noise cancel out on adjacent channels
using DSP's in the receivers or something????

DAve