[BC] DST

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Mon Oct 31 15:05:36 CST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/2005 1:47:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
barry at oldradio.com writes:

> What amazed me was a comment in a newspaper article suggesting the
>  extension of DST next year will result in daytimers shutting down as
>  early as 3:55PM.

We won't lose evening time, we'll gain it. We're concerned about the loss of
morning airtime. The change will cause November's "sunrise" to occur at 7:45,
instead of 6:45 as it does now. This change will also result in a loss of an
hour of morning programming between 6-7am in March. (It will add an hour to the
end of the day on both sides.)

We expect the FCC to "throw us a bone" like they did in the 80's, when DST
was last tinkered-with. (But we won't hold our breath.) That allowed us to
sign-on at 6:00 with 290 watts (for 15 minutes) in April, after setting the clocks
ahead.

Let's say the FCC grants us this same 290 watts to operate when the new
change goes into effect. We would then be signing-on an hour before physical
sunrise at less than 10% power. As it is, now, WTOP obliterates us even at full
power, for the first 30 minutes or so after sunrise in those winter months. At 290
watts, we'll be fortunate to have a listenable signal 1/2 mile out in the
main lobe.

Willie...