[BC] DST

Scott Fybush scott
Mon Oct 31 14:50:26 CST 2005

At 09:44 AM 10/31/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>I hope all of you are recovering from the change back to standard
>time.  Of course, we in Arizona (along with most of Indiana, Hawaii, and
>some reservations) are pleased the rest of the nation has gotten back in
>step with us.
>
>What amazed me was a comment in a newspaper article suggesting the
>extension of DST next year will result in daytimers shutting down as early
>as 3:55PM.
>
>Any of you folks in the northern rim have confirmation on this?

Actually, the extension of DST would help matters in afternoon drive,
especially for stations at the eastern edge of a time zone. I just looked
up the sunrise/sunset times for WNTK Newport NH, the most northeasterly
class D station that came to mind. November FCC sunset at WNTK (North
Latitude 43 21 52.0, West Longitude 72 10 47.0) is 4:30 EST. Next year, Bob
will get to stay on with his full day power until 5:30 PM local time in
November, which would be a plus.

The problem comes at the other end of the day, and at the other end of the
time zone. With DST in effect into November, WNTK will be stuck at 37 watts
until 7:45 in the morning.

Think that's bad? Imagine being WMFN in Zeeland, Michigan (North Latitude
42 48 59.0, West Longitude 85 57 24.0), where you can't go to day power
until 8:30 AM EDT in November 2007!

There are even worse examples somewhere at the western edge of Central
Time. FCC sunrise in Bismarck ND is 7:45 AM CST in November. That will be
8:45 AM in November 2007. So much for morning drive... (though there's
something to be said for being able to stay on at day power until 9:45 PM
in June!)

s (who's just had to think, for the very LAST time, about whether the
in-laws in Indiana are on the same time as us or not :-)