[BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Mon Oct 31 06:13:49 CST 2005

In a message dated 10/31/2005 5:29:57 AM Central Standard Time,
hykker at grolen.com writes:

Did I  miss something, or were there NO faders on the console?  It looked
like just switches.  Since all elements were on cart, were all levels
pre-set?  Given the reliability (lack of) of cart machines of that  era, it
must have been a maintenance nightmare.  Were there any other  stations that
played music from carts that early?  I don't remember  ever seeing it until
the early 70s.

KXOL,  top 40 in Ft. Worth used cartridges for music beginning in the  early
'60's with Collins(ATC) machine even has a box of sharpened pencils to
ocassionally shove under a dirty cart during a music selection to squew the tape
when oxide build-up on the old style heads.

    When they moved to "Sound City Studios"  I  don't be;ieve they had a
turntable in their studios (1967)  If they did it  was under a cover.

Dave