[BC] Gates Yard schematic or manual

Charles Ring W3NU charlesr
Mon Oct 31 02:06:01 CST 2005

DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/27/2005 7:43:13 AM Central Standard Time,
>DHultsman5 at aol.com writes:
>
>OK let  me see,  if I recall correctly there was;
>
>1.)  The older  larger grey,  octal tube based  Gates  Studioette  console.

52CS

>2.)  Then the Gates minature tube based  Gates  Studette using  5879 mic
>pre-amps grey and beige in  color.

there were two sub-versions of this one. The first used 5879's,  the
second used EF86/6267's. There were two color schemes but the tube
change did not coincide with the color change.

>3.)  Then the solid state Gates Studioette,   Known as the Producer per
>Milton.
>
>Is that  correct?   Barry's page only has one  Studioette.

No. The solid state Studioette was the Studioette 80 and looked like an
updated version of  2. above. It didnt sound good and was terribly
subject to clipping. The Producer was very cheaply made, sounded awful,
clipped even worse, and looked like a throwback to 1. above. It was
never called a Studioette.They should have stayed with tubes until the
good linear chips were available. Thinking again, the Gatesway II
wasn't bad except for frequent transistor failures.