[BC] Gates Yard schematic or manual

Charles Ring W3NU charlesr
Mon Oct 31 01:09:14 CST 2005

DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/24/2005 11:56:43 PM Central Standard Time,
>dynotherm at earthlink.net writes:
>
>On 24  Oct 2005 at 13:15, Milton R. Holladay Jr. wrote:
>

>>IIRC, the  Studioette was all self contained
>>

>OK let me see,  if I recall correctly there was;
>
>1.)  The older larger grey,  octal tube based  Gates  Studioette console.
>
>2.)  Then the Gates minature tube based  Gates Studette using  5879 mic
>pre-amps grey and beige in color.
>
>3.)  Then the solid state Gates Studioette,
>
>Is that correct?   Barry's page only has one Studioette.
>

>However he has one more solid state Yard but does not have the 6 pot Yard
>console..  OK you guys Barry needs:
>
>1.)  Photo of the 6 Pot tube type Yard Console
>2.)  Photo of the Octal tube type Studioette Console
>3.)  Photo of the solid state Gates Studioette  or whatever it  was called
>the 4 pot solid state
>
>_www.oldradio.com_ (http://www.oldradio.com)         Studio Equipment
>Gates Radio
>

>Dave Hultsman

I have pictures of the 6 pot Yard, lifted from an ebay auction.  Might
have been more than one on ebay, and one had been modified to 8 pots so
dunno if i have  pics of an intact one. I think the pics show the
internal power supply and monitor amp.

The really old Studioette was the 52CS. I dont know what tubes it used
because the only one i saw had been gutted and made into a passive
mixer. It did not look at all like the later ones but one could
recognize it as a Gates product by the materials used in it such as the
same screw terminal block as in the later Studioette and Yard (iirc).

The solid state Studioette was the Studioette 80 and it was a piece of
crap. Newer does NOT mean better. It was terribly prone to clipping. I
never saw a Yard 80 so i dont know if it was the same. I think the
Gatesway 80 was better but i didnt have much experience with it. Don't
confuse the Srudioette 80 with the even worse Producer which in
appearance was something of a throwback to the 52CS.

Further details of my very long experience with these consoles would get
into my long years at WPIC where I did some really special work on them
that I have a right to be proud of  but it's all too painful to bring up.