[BC] RF absorption by foliage

Lewis Munn looey323
Sun Oct 30 16:06:54 CST 2005

ET, thanks for the memories.

I have used the tree effect many times to trim readings in.

Also, on the NWC Radio station at Fargo, ND we had such a good ground system, and copper FM transmission lines bonded to both towers, that the pattern was hyper-efficient, and I had to take some readings lying on my back under barbed wire fences...they often had the "tree effect".  Out there, useful trees are few and far between.

Wish there was more work out there around the country in FI measurements...I enjoyed them...even the old walkouts.  And have a friend who is good at reading topo maps; we could really fly on driveout radials.  I am always looking for short or medium-term contract work in radio installation and maintenance to help ends to meet, or maybe with luck overlap a bit.

At Holland, MI one radial had a huge blueberry bush on it by the railroad tracks, that escaped cultivation.  In season, it was loaded with wonderful berries...nice time to measure the station, and take a bit longer between walkout points there.  Mmm-mmm-good!

Wonder if with IBOC the FCC is going to make DA's broadband their arrays to keep all the IBOC trash to the same pattern as the main channel?  Be fun to measure that!!

Looey Munn
Roundup, MT

Ed Trombley <ET at Munn-Reese.com> wrote:

>There was a station in Denver that the consultant swore was affected by a

Back when the TVRO thing was a big deal we used to tell clients to plant
jack pine trees