[BC] RF absorption by foliage

Cowboy curt
Sun Oct 30 10:11:46 CST 2005

>>From: Alan Alsobrook <radiotech at bellsouth.net>

>>I have an AM Combo here in Florida that had allowed pine trees to grow
>>in the near field of the tower. Our plan was to remove the trees and
>>replace the ground system. Money being tight this plan has stretched
>>out.  In the mean time I was building a new FM site (with a new tower)
>>nearby .8 miles. I asked the owner of the AM to hold up on any work
>>until I had completed the FM, which required before and after
>>measurements of the AM's. Despite my asking, the AM owner got a "great
>>trade" on the land clearing shortly after I had made the before
>>measurements. When I made the after measurements both of the AM's showed
>>a 20% increase in field in all directions. That was with NO ground
>>system left and we didn't even get 1/4 wave cleared. So I have no doubt
>>that pine trees suck up signal like a sponge.  The money still isn't
>>available to put in the new ground system and I know for sure after the
>>root rake went through there's nothing left of the old one which was
>>known to be in poor shape.

 Well, THERE's a sticky wicket !

 Since you can easily prove that the AM made significant changes
 during the time when no changes could be made, and that he HAD
 been notified as the rules require, I'ld say the FM is completely off the hook.

 I'm no lawyer, but if it were my FM, it would take a finding by the
 commission before I'ld pay for any damages, real or imagined.

--

Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Weinberg's Second Law:
	If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs,
then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.