[BC] Kinstar Antenna Approval

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sun Oct 30 02:18:18 CST 2005

On 29 Oct 2005 at 10:28, Barry Mishkind wrote:

> This design has been "shown" at several of the last few NAB shows.
>
> What do you mean "without significant compromise?"
>
> 5%, 10%, 15% of RF.

The information I've seen says FS is about 98% of a 90 deg radiator.

> And, please refresh my memory: how much footprint does one of these take?

The Order and the Rackely report (Appendix 1 of the Order) both consider
using only standard ground systems, so the land use will be the same.

> For example, a 90 degree vertical at around 1400 is more or less 200
> feet and requires about 3.5 acres for most zoning entities, right?
>
> What kind of land would a Kinstar at 1400 take?

There is no difference. A ground system is the same for both. Most
of the work would be the doing ground system. Since the antenna
impedance is low, there would seem to be no real reason for a screen,
but that is a matter of some discussion on short towers - which is
how they are treating this - as a short tower with large top loading.

The primary advantage is this is five utility poles and wire. A utility
lineman can easily handle the maintenance. The big advantage with
this Order, is it simplifies use. No extra paperwork required. With
this Order a Kinstar can be used the same as a quarter wave base
insulated tower. With no vertical requirements to consider that makes
this a VERY BIG thing for the non-DA that can't find a new site for
their tower because NIMBY's have zoned them out or airports are nearby.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037