[BC] Helicopters and power line maintenance

Xen Scott xenscott
Sat Oct 29 10:20:02 CDT 2005

At 08:00 AM 10/29/05 -0500, Dave wrote:
>I'd like to see this. I wonder how they can carefully control this saw from
>a swinging platform.
>
>Dave

The saw assembly consists of eleven 18" rotary saws on electric motors.  The
motors are mounted one above another on a pole about 30' tall.  On the top
of the pole is a box which contains a electric generator used to power
the saws.  The entire package is mounted on another connector pole attached
to the helicopter's underside.  The connector pole is hinged at each end.
When on the ground, the entire pole and saw assembly is laid out in front of
the helicopter.  To get into the air, the helicopter rises and moves forward.
Landing is done in reverse.  The pilot sets the bottom of the saw assembly on
the ground and than lays it down by backing and lowering the helicopter until
it is also on the ground.

The only control of the saw blades seems to be a power on/off.  The saw
position is controlled by the position of the helicopter.  The rigid
pole maintains the position of the blades relative to the helicopter.
The weight of the saw keeps it under the helicopter.

I believe the company is Aerial Solutions, based in Tabor City, NC.
The pilot said they had five helicopters in the fleet.

Xen Scott