[BC] Almost a Darwin award!

Mike McCarthy mre
Fri Oct 28 15:46:11 CDT 2005

We had the same BASE jumper situation here at one of my stations 10
years ago.  I was the contractor at this station less than a week when
I got a call saying the fire department was at the site, come quikcly.

This guy also got his chute snagged on a guy line and rode the guy
line down to about the 120 ft. where it got hooked by a johnny ball.
yes, it's an AM tower...and a hot one at that.

Fire department called in a 100 ft. hook/ladder from another
department and hooked an extension ladder onto the end of the main
ladder to reach this guy.

Station sued him to receover repair charges to make sure the tower was
not damaged and to injoin him from ever walking on the property again.
Fire Department sued to receover their charges as well.  Cost him over
$15K 10 years ago.

Since then, no more jumpers.

Lots of no trespassing signs and razor wire on the fences around the
towers.

MM

> That guy is a real idiot, but tied with him is the Cessna 210 pilot
who
> clipped a fire truck trying to take off from a road and ran his
plane into a
> ditch and trees after running out of gas and landing on the road to
start
> with
>
> Paul Smith
> Sarasota, FL

District
> Attorneys office and ask for the maximum sentence to try and
discourage this
> activity.  We have had base jumpers in the past and not much has
happened to
> them when they are arrested.  We have also contacted the Fire
Department and