[BC] Cell phone activations

Jeff Allen jallen
Fri Oct 28 12:37:52 CDT 2005

Depends on the carrier and sales person.  Verizon did it for us just a few
months ago.  It was a bag phone we have had for a while.

We are getting away from using phones for remotes and going Wireless
Internet.  Just about every place we have a remote there is a WiFi signal.
We can control our Scott Studios automation that way..no ops back at the
studio.  The audio is better than phone and close to real time.  This is my
own set-up.  Comrex has a nice box that will do audio, but is priced way too
high for our budget, ours does so much more anyway.

I use an old P3 computer, racked it up in our Van, A d-Link 810+ with a
Radio Labs WiFi 500mw amp.    Depending on your city, you should get all
kinds of WiFi signals.  We piggy back on Coffee shops or whatever I can
find, with permission.  Be sure to get permission..it is not legal to use
somebody's WiFi.  Plus, you never know when they might shut things down
leaving you with no way to broadcast.  Maybe find some reliable signals and
give them a small kickback or air mention.

J Allen

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Kevin/Tieline
Technology
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 10:16 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: RE: [BC] Cell phone activations

It is smoke but the truth is they *don't* want to do it, not that they
*can't* because they want analog phones to die out.  Analog phones take
up bandwidth/resources, etc. that could be used for more digital
connections.  Now what I'm curious about is how Jeff got his cell
provider to activate bag phones.  I've tried several times on behalf of
customers who want to use their Tielines on bag phones (which is
possible) and tried to schmooze tech support managers to do so but they
flat out would not budge.

Kevin Webb
GM, Tieline Technology
888-211-6989, ext. 111