[BC] McCurdy Radio Equipment--Where are They Today?

Dave Schreyer shamrock1961
Fri Oct 28 00:59:45 CDT 2005

I have been following the Gates and Gatesway equipment threads. Noticed that
one
company had been ignored. McCurdy Radio in Canada. I used to have a huge
catalog
from them years back about the time I learned that WLS AM had used their
equipment
for their studios while they were still on Michigan Ave. Custom built if I
am not mistaken.

I have photos of WLS from about 1977 or later. (I believe) prior to their
going to AM Stereo and
simulcasting with their AM. I remember sending then on air talent (now
station voice) Jeff Davis
a roll of 35mm color film and getting back a hell of a great set of picks of
their new FM main
studio and their "studio "a" and "b".

Whatever happened to McCurdy anyway? I went to their web site and it looks
like a company
who has basically gone out of business. I know their specialty was audio
equipment most of
which was built to BE specs.

I also remember there was this special piece of equipment that McCurdy made
that added to the
audio quality of WLS back then. I can't remember what it was...I believe
McCurdy built that
too. It was like the AM version of an OPTIMOD if I am correct on that.

Thought I would throw that one out there just for fun and see where it
landed!

Regards,

Dave Schreyer
Broadcast Historian