[BC] Cell phone activations

dean tiernan dtiernan
Thu Oct 27 20:51:38 CDT 2005

Its smoke. The cellular providers want to get rid of analog service.
Most are converting to some digital service. In some places they simply
refuse and tell the truth. Unfortunately, cell phone customer service
and truth are not necessarily linked. They are all moving to some
digital standard and simply don't want to maintain analog tx/rx. I've
heard some good things about some of the GSM codecs, you might want to
check with the usual suspects, before signing up with a service. Dean
know. The FCC can't dictate what phones the cellular providers can or
can not activate/reactivate/deactivate except fort violations of the
service agreement. Especially if the phone was on that system before.
What a pile. Also...keep this in mind. The analog phones will probably
function better in emergency situations than digital phones. A couple
reasons. 1) There aren't many of them left and there will be less
congestion on the cell. 2) You can easily take a bag phone and stick a
HUGE high gain yagi with some height to reach into a cell which might be
working at some distance. You would be surprised at how far 50 watts ERP
at 30 ft. will travel at 850 Mhz. MM At 05:36 PM 10/27/2005 -0600, Don