[BC] Ma Bell is back. (from slashdot.com)

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Thu Oct 27 15:39:29 CDT 2005

The Comm. Act of 1996 required the ILEC's (local phone companies) to offer
their lines to others wishing to sell local service BEFORE they could get into
the long distance business. Instead, they bought off the FCC so they GOT their
entry into LD without offering ANYTHING to anyone else.

Yes, VOIP can offer local service, but it requires a broadband connection. Who
owns those connections? The cable and phone monopolies!

Like so many others have said before: We have the best Govt. that $$$ can
buy!

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Mike McCarthy <Towers at mre.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] Ma Bell is back.  (from slashdot.com)

In the same day, the Fed's approved the purchase of MCI by Verizon.  That
should slow down Judge Green's spinning to around....9800 RPM.

While there "is" competition in LD service, there still really isn't in
local service.  So Judge Green's ruling still really does apply and have
results since there are a number of LD carriers...as well as VoIP.  Which
very few people could have seen in the early 80's...let alone when his
ruling came down.

MM

At 12:43 PM 10/27/2005 -0700, dean tiernan wrote