[BC] Electrical Code

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Thu Oct 27 12:24:14 CDT 2005

The easiest way to minimize hurricane damage to power lines is to ban
planting of trees under overhead power lines.  Local code allows this
nightmare and we reap what we sow in a few years when those trees grow up

Seen it many times the last few years.

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Paul Christensen
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:15 AM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Electrical Code

> General repairs to overhead lines is a few hour process as opposed to
> potentially days with underground.

U/G electrical plant is fine for last-mile applications in gated
communities, but there's a significant capital and operating cost
differential per mile of U/G versus aerial plant.  When I was responsible
for the AT&T Broadband upgrades in North Florida, the capital cost
differential for U/G was in the order of 4-5 times that of aerial in some
locations.

As Mike points out, locating faults with any U/G service can be a nightmare.
And the occurrence of faults to other services over the life of the cabling
in a joint-trench installation is particularly high.  When you have an U/G
outage, folks don't want to be without services for hours, let alone days.
As more splices are placed U/G. the more long terms problems develop.

In my community, the power company just replace all U/G cabling to ~ 500
homes as a result of repeated U/G splices that have failed through the
years.  It took the better part of the summer to complete.  An aerial
upgrade would have taken a fraction of the time and cost.

I can't tell you how many times I had to answer to the local city council
over U/G fiber and coaxial outages as the result of U/G contractor
trenching.  Locates are not 100% effective and there's always someone
striking an U/G line somewhere.

So, while the extent of damage during a hurricane is high with aerial
cabling, the ongoing pain of outages with U/G, together with the high
capital and operating maintenance costs make aerial more attractive
overall - for both the customer and the operator.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802    Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org