[BC] Hot Tables

SteveOrdinetz hykker
Tue Oct 25 18:03:56 CDT 2005

  Harold Hallikainen wrote:

>I remember those both being pretty common. I had DJs wrapping tape around
>the capstan of the rim drive QRK turntables to make them go faster. They
>said it made the other stations sound like they were dragging...

My guess is that's the real reason most stations pitched up their
songs...the time savings would be minimal, and could be acheived more
easily just by fading the songs a bit early (you could fade Hotel
California, Year Of The Cat or Hey Jude a couple minutes early & not lose a
thing).  Of course in highly competitive markets this got into a pitching
war...you'd pitch 3%, the competition would pitch 4%.  Then you'd
counter-attack by going 5% and pretty soon it was all chipmunks all the time.