[BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Oct 25 11:00:35 CDT 2005

------ At 09:34 AM 10/25/2005, Rob Atkinson wrote: -------

>I recall CFL had a bit of reverb on their mics.  I once was told
>that they upped the speed on their turntables a wee bit.   maybe all
>that was common practice.

It was. It's known as running "hot tables." I think the maximum speed
increase was about 3% before the pitch change became very obvious.
Since radio mixes were often much shorter than the album cuts you
could squeeze in an extra song in an hour. Many stations used reverb
on the mics.

Radio mixes often caused problems with listeners. They bought the
album and the album cut wasn't what they heard. If you were listening
to an AOR station you had no problem.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia