[BC] WFMT, was early FM...

Barry Mishkind barry
Mon Oct 24 18:29:46 CDT 2005

Gordon,

I remember when this was happening ... it was a time before the FCC
granted any station an "expectation of renewal" for their license,
unless they did a demonstrably bad job.

During the late 1960s and 1970s, there were all sorts of protests and
filings to prevent stations from being transferred or even change
format. The threat of a possible format change even brought out
threats to attack all the licenses of a company.

Since it was in Chicago, I can't really say with authority that the
people behind the WFMT threats were the same type of enviro-whackos
we see all the time today ... but I do remember it was almost a test
case for whether a licensee had the right to select a format or not
(like Canada?).

The "listeners' group" you mentioned.  Did they have their hands clean?

barry

At 05:51 AM 10/24/2005, Gordon Carter wrote