[BC] Decluttering AM (was: Listening t ests... how

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Mon Oct 24 17:32:16 CDT 2005

From: "Phil Alexander" <dynotherm at earthlink.net>

> On 24 Oct 2005 at 2:24, R J Carpenter wrote:

> > I keep reading various suggestions / implications (ie: re: Class C
> > AMs) that an across-the-board power reduction would decrease
cochannel
> > interference.

> Think skywave, Bob.

Propagation is linear.  Thus the cochannel desired to undesired ratio
is the same if all stations increase or decrease their power by the
same ratio/factor.  There is skywave today, there will continue to be
skywave and it will have the same effect (in dB attenuation) no matter
what the power level.

In the unlikely scenario of all 1 kW Class C stations going to 50 kW,
their cochannel desired to undesired ratio would be exactly the same
as it is today.  Sure there is a diurnal variation in the ratio, but
the ratios would remain just as they are today at any given moment.

Since this is a rather useless "what if" discussion. let's call it
quits right now.

bob c.