[BC] Re: It's Eureka over IBOC down under

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 23 12:52:11 CDT 2005

------ At 02:44 AM 10/23/2005, Robert Orban wrote: -------

>Movie soundtracks have no intrinsic loudness per-se. Although there
>are Dolby and THX standards regarding setting the theater's master
>faders, these are not always followed; a given movie theater can set
>its master fader as loud or quiet as desired. What is more important
>is the fact that these soundtracks are still very dynamic with
>plenty of quiet parts. Cinema sound mixers understand the dramatic
>value of dynamics.

Unfortunately, the neighbors often don't. The most dramatic part is
when a neighbor knocks on the door. My NYC apartment was a converted
cold storage warehouse. All cement and cinderblock. I could crank up
my system and bother no one in the building. However, I always had
the windows open. I once had a the doorman rush upstairs because a
neighbor across the street heard screams and gunshots. The police had
been called, too. Fortunately the doorman knew what kind of system I
had and figured it was a movie. The police call was cancelled when he
checked. Dialogue was quite low. The screams and gunshots practically
tore the facade off the building.

Rich