[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Meuser Robertm
Sat Oct 22 12:11:30 CDT 2005

Kevin

This is simply untrue. In the early 60s FM stereo was rare and it often
sounded pretty bad due to implementation.  There were all kinds of
improvised systems. Stereo did not get it legs until the late 60s and
into the 70s.

Many station's early programs were top 40 and country (often simulcasts
of AM) and people listened often because the AM was a daytimer and the
FM extended hours. I had a portable that I hung an outside wire antenna
on it so I could listen to an FM station  in the car. In major markets
many stations just sat and simulcast just the keep the channel warm.
WABC AM and FM was but one example of this. It was when simulcast was
not longer permitted and the underground/progressive programming hit the
air waves that interest in FM and FM stereo started to grow. I dont
think there ever was a time that  Classical or Jazz programming ever
drove the market.