[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Sat Oct 22 09:09:52 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/22/2005 4:48:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
barry at oldradio.com writes:

>          you would need every manufacturer
>           to have the same internal software
>           and upgrade system.
>
>           Otherwise there would need to be
>           50 different data streams, CDs, etc.
>
>           I can see the logistical nightmare.
>
>           ... and do we want to see ibiquity
>           control another piece of code?

This is where the "Open Source" modem comes into play. One standard, that is
open to any and all. The specs are uiniversal, because the systems all share
the same algorythm & internal memory maps, despite possibly using more than one
mfgr's chipset. (Think PC's, with Intel or AMD chips.)

With one common algorythm, there is no logistical nightmare, since every unit
"speaks the same language". One software update fits all radios. It would
also eliminate the lock that iborg has. (We can dream!)

Willie...