[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Sat Oct 22 09:08:17 CDT 2005

>From: "Michael Bergman" Regarding the NPR testing, the clean environment
>that NPR and Dr. Sheffield
>set up was very good for listening, and the individual was able to
>blind-compare two audio samples until they were ready to say "A is better
>than B".  Then they did two more samples.  IIRC, the tester compared two
>codecs 10 times for each pair of WAV samples.
>
>Generally, I see codecs tested in pure, clean listening environments like
>this.  This helps prevent the very issues you mention from letting codec
>artifacts hide in the "noise".
>
>My company uses this kind of listening test, lab BER performance testing,
>and real-world field testing in combination.  Generally, a pure lab test is
>good for studying codecs, but as you mention, not enough in itself.

Thanks, Mike, for the information and presentation.  As I told Bob, I'm
going to wait and see, myself... since it's not really a hunt that I've got
dogs in right now.  I maintain my position(s) that IBUZ will fail in the
marketplace, but unless I can get Vegas odds on it there's no reward in
going short on this one ... so I'll leave it to others to toss their dice.
:-)

Maybe the new former-bartender-head of the NAB can get the government to set
aside $3 billion to buy everyone a new radio, huh?  Hey, there's precedent!
It could come from the Homeland Security budget, given radio's long-time
first-response to emergencies! "Cat's whishers don't work anymore, sir,
we'll be needing billions to keep up with the state of the art so that the
public can ignore our warnings..."