[BC] FM jamming story-More details

Steve Michaels N4AY steve
Fri Oct 21 21:07:04 CDT 2005

The person in the building when Charlie arrived was a former CC employee =
who
had been terminated by CC.  To the best of my knowledge, he was the only
person trained to operate the transmitter.  Have you heard a Bext XL1000
when it is making power?  The thing sounds like an F-16.  You could hear =
the
thing all over the building.  It was sitting on top of a rack, it =
doesn't
use thumb wheels to set the frequency, and the power switch is on the =
back
of the box, necessitating going behind the rack to turn it on.  It was =
no
"accident" it was on the WPAP frequency and turned on.  Because of the
racket the thing makes, there is also no way anyone in the building =
would
not have known it was on.  On a side note, the Friday before the =
incident, I
was helping install an EAS receiver about a mile from the "jammer."  =
After
verifying WPAP had ample signal and plenty of audio, suddenly there was
nothing there.  Another station in the TFT rx was loud and clear--same =
tower
as WPAP and same ERP.  Considerable head scratching--and when checked =
later,
WPAP was back.  I know Charlie has very well backed-up facilities, so I
seriously doubt that WPAP was off the air for more than a few seconds, =
if at
all.

I have been told that virtually the entire Double O staff had bailed out =
of
town anticipating a hit by Dennis, essentially leaving only one person =
baby-sit four stations--the one who was there when John Law came =
knocking on
the door.  It is also my understanding that the deputy was only there to =
be
a witness to the operation of the transmitter and who was present in the
building.

Steve
Gruntled ex-Double Uh-O employee