[BC] Re: It's Eureka over IBOC down under

Robert Orban rorban
Fri Oct 21 13:38:01 CDT 2005

At 04:45 AM 10/21/2005, you wrote:
>From: RRSounds at aol.com
>Subject: [BC] Re: It's Eureka over IBOC down under
>To: broadcast at radiolists.net
>Cc: David at translantech.com
>

>It makes me feel so old to say this, BUT...
>
>When I was young, Broadcast FM radio was the cleanest, most dynamic and
>spectrally broad, lowest distortion audio source most people had access too.
>
>Of course the engineering staff at any particular station had quite a bit of
>control over how seriously they took that capability, but nonetheless,
>technically FM could equal or beat any other consumer audio source!
>
>And while one could listen to FM on inferior equipment and have an inferior
>but adequate listening experience, one could also spend more and ultimately
>have a more hi-fi experience. The 'adequate' experience was merely one
>subset of
>the bigger universe of radio listening.
>
>The present paradigm doesn't allow for that. The better the receiving
>equipment you buy, the worse broadcast radio sounds, because all kinds of
>artifacts
>are revealed. And it's not just FM, which still CAN sound very very good.
>IBOC
>or any grossly data-reduced system plays to a rather low common denominator,
>welding into place a level of quality that no receiver, no matter how
>expensive, can improve upon because it is never transmitted in the first
>place.
>
>I'm not talking about content, or what the other content providers are doing.
>That's a whole different discussion. I'm talking about the relative technical
>status of OUR delivery system. We have long ago let slip any hold on the
>title "state of the art." How it happened, and who to blame is yet another
>discussion. I'll let someone else point the fingers.
>
>Maybe, "adequate" or "entertainment-quality" audio is what we're destined to
>provide for the future. So be it. I have no illusions. I'll do the best I can
>within those confines, working to offer the best listening experience I
>can. I
>think most of us want to.
>
>But I sure wish there was a way to work toward bringing at least some of the
>OLD paradigm to the listening experience, where, if you wanted to and could
>afford it, you could turn on a RADIO to hear the reference, the best quality
>audio available to the consumer.

I think that older guys like us tend to look at the past through
rose-colored glasses. FM mono could be reference-quality with the music of
the 1940s through 1960 before the advent of FM stereo. However, stereo
introduced serious problems by adding 23 dB to the noise floor and also
vastly increasing the system's sensitivity to multipath. Having
reference-quality FM stereo reception usually required an outdoor antenna
with a rotator, carefully aligned to minimize multipath. (My old Marantz
10B tuner  has a built-in oscilloscope to help align the antenna for
minimum multipath.)

The FM pre-emphasis curve was more-or-less complementary to the HF power
handling of vinyl records using RIAA equalization. So everything was pretty
good back in the days of vinyl. However, the availability of CD (which has
flat power-handling vs frequency) eventually moved the record industry to
brighter mixes that pre-emphasized FM could not accommodate without either
reducing average modulation dramatically or applying very audible HF
limiting. Some would argue that today's CD are mastered way too bright, but
the fact remains that pre-emphasized FM analog is incapable of handling
this material in an audibly transparent way without reducing average
modulation by something in the order of 10 dB compared to today's standard
practices.

Bob Orban