[BC] Re: It's Eureka over IBOC down under

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Oct 21 13:34:54 CDT 2005

------ At 08:15 AM 10/21/2005, RRSounds at aol.com wrote: -------

>But I sure wish there was a way to work toward bringing at least some of the
>OLD paradigm to the listening experience, where, if you wanted to and could
>afford it, you could turn on a RADIO to hear the reference, the best quality
>audio available to the consumer.

It's gone. You're at a competitive disadvantage in the loudness war
if you don't mash the daylights out of the audio, regardless of the
quality of the processors. I had a friend in New York with whom I've
lost touch (David Ranada) who has spent most of his life writing
about audio for High Fidelity, Stereo Review and now Sound and
Vision. I can't remember the last time broadcasting was discussed
other than HDTV. They'll even discuss MP3 simply because of its popularity.

I can only imagine the reaction one would get if they wrote a letter
to the editor of Stereophile suggesting radio as a viable audio
source. First, the letter would be passed around the office for its
value as humor, then the writer would be ripped to shreds in the response.

Rich