[BC] Re: Saving Your Own Life

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri Oct 21 06:57:36 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/20/2005 11:20:24 PM Central Standard Time,
RandyShaffer at ClearChannel.com writes:

We  tracked down the problem to a 20amp breaker from an entirely different
panel  that was used to power the crystal oven.

Randy  Shaffer

********************************

Many years ago  I worked with an AM installation where the transmitter
control circuitry was all one side of 220VAC.  Also there was a crystal  oscillator
oven circuits that was seperate.  After finding both voltages  within the
transmitter myself.  I purchase some red neon bulbs with  pigtails and hooked
across the crystal oscillator terminal where the bulb could  be seen with the
rear door opened.   I also put red neons to ground on  any 220VAC control
cominginto the transmitter from the phasor cabinet.

We also used red DYMO labels to list all breaker numbers involved with the
transmitter on the rear doors including the 110VAC crystal oscillaot.
Incidently in the OLD days if you turned off the oscillaotr heaters for too long  of
time you may find your self near the 20 cycle limit.  But it was also a  goot
test of your monitor.  When you came back on it would move back to  zero as
the warming up occurred.  Most monitors were not as stable as the  crystals (as
long as the oven heaters were operating).

I really liked it when in the early '60's when Collins 820's started the
ability to have a DC remote control interface of 24 or 48 VDC starting a trend
of getting 220 VAC and 110 VAC off the back of remote control unit  terminals.

Dave