[BC] Subsidy For Digital TV?

Mike McCarthy Towers
Fri Oct 21 06:50:41 CDT 2005

Unlike TV, radio doesn't have a sunset date for analog broadcasting.  What
you don't know is Congress is getting all kinds of heat from various
government agencies to turn over spectrum promised to them above
700Mhz...which should have taken place at the end of next year.  Well, HDTV
sets are not going out as fast projected, so the reality is something must
give. And the subsidized converters are the least costly way to move that
transition along.

Mind you, it isn't the FCC pushing this.  They're only doing Congress's
bidding on this whole matter.  In terms of importance to the local
governments pushing this, it's top level priority.  Especially in large
metro's where there is an acute shortage of spectrum for both intra- as
well as inter-agency communications.

Katrina was a poster child event for lack of inter-agency inter-operability.

Mind you, I'm not happy with this subsidy either.  But if I can get one,
I'll certainly try. Might as well get something back from the taxes I pay.

MM

At 06:45 AM 10/21/2005 -0400, Tom Dimeo wrote