[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Thu Oct 20 20:26:34 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/20/2005 5:44:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rorban at earthlink.net writes:

> The only assumption on the digital side was that
>  the BER was low enough to present the digital signal error-free to the
>  receiver codec.

I think this was the point of Bill Sepmeier's post... When, in the "real
world", is a signal on the MW band *ever* going to be received without any
interference, outside the 500mv/m contour of the station? You mentioned that the
comparison was made against a "perfect" AM signal, then listed a number of common
RFI generators as being absent for the test. (Lab conditions, basically.)

In the "real world", those noise sources abound. Thus, the only place you're
going to see that error-free digital signal, is either parked right next to
the station's antenna (array) or in a lab.

Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what he was driving at.
(Bad pun, sorry.) <G>

Willie...