[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Orban rorban
Thu Oct 20 18:41:51 CDT 2005

At 03:23 PM 10/20/2005, you wrote:
>From: Kevin Tekel <amstereoexp at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!
>To: broadcast at radiolists.net
>
>Robert Orban wrote (in reply to Dana Puopolo):
> > >Was this music played on NRSC-5 AM where the Highs are tightly limited
> > to 5 Khz?
> >
> > No. The analog AM receivers were fed from full NRSC (~9.5 kHz)
>bandwidth.
>
>But how much of this bandwidth was being reproduced through these
>receivers?  A GE Superadio III in Wideband mode would of course generate a
>much more favorable opinion of analog AM audio quality than the analog AM
>tuner section of Kenwood's IBOC tuner, whose audio response drops off like
>a cliff at 3 kHz.
>
>The only fair way to make these tests would be to compare the best that
>analog AM can deliver (C-Quam AM Stereo with full NRSC bandwidth) versus
>the best that IBOC AM can deliver (36 kbps "Enhanced"-mode stereo HDC),
>irrespective of receiver-based limitations.

They used four AM analog radios: Delphi, Technics, Panasonic, and Sony. I
couldn't find the model numbers (I was using a Powerpoint presentation in
the NRSC archives as my information source; I attended the original
presentation but don't remember it well enough to be able to quote model
numbers) but I believe that the Pioneer and Panasonic were AM/FM stereo
"hi-fi" receivers, the Sony was a portable or table radio, and the Delphi,
of course, was an auto radio. (It's also possible that either the Pioneer
or Panasonic was instead an aftermarket auto radio).

So the analog receiver choices were four widely available, commonly used
major-brand AM radios in the three important categories of home,
portable/table, and auto. They were chosen to represent the typical
experience that a consumer has with analog AM radio today.