[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

John Burger xlchief
Thu Oct 20 12:59:18 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lamar Owen" <lowen at pari.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 15:49, Michael Bergman wrote:
>> We do one hardware/software release per year.  You get the features you
>> paid for.  That's how the vast majority of products work--from
>> toothbrushes
>> to Office Suite; you want the new features from the next year, you buy
>> the
>> new product.
>
> What about bugs?  You mean the IBOC software is 100% bug free?  Why,
> please
> let Microsoft know how to write bugfree software, might save a bundle of
> money.

Radio has worked for as long as any of us can remember.  Turn it on, tune it
in, and enjoy.

Microsoft has been an iffy proposition for as long as any of us can
remember.  Turn it on, and pray.  Use it, and pray.  Upgrade it, and pray.

We have become accoustomed to the peculiarities of MS, and more or less
accept them.  If we similarly complicate the radio listening experience will
we tacitly accept it, or will we discard it in favor of other medium with
greater versitily and less complication?  We tolerate computer problems
because there is so much that they do right when they work.  Radio's limited
functionality may not be much of a hold if it becomes too much of a pain.

John