[BC] HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Thu Oct 20 09:12:25 CDT 2005

Bill Sepmeier wrote:
> I do know that I've been asked twice recently by KOA listeners in Denver
> to explain the "screeching hash" they now find "next to the station."...
> They have not liked it but it's so new and unknown they hadn't had
> enough knowledge to complain to anyone, bopth thought their radios were
> failing....

The electric company here in NJ received a call from a person who
complained about electrical interference on his AM radio.  It turned out
that what the listener thought was power line noise was actually IBOC hash
from a 50 kW NYC station.  This incident was reported on the New York
Radio Message Board by a Jersey Central Power & Light employee back in
October 2002, a week after the station in question began transmitting
IBOC.

So if you're transmitting AM IBOC and it seems like no one's complaining
about it, try contacting your local electric company and see if they've
gotten any reports of RFI which were ultimately traced to your station's
signal!