[BC] Schematics in products (WAS: WTIR..in Miami!)

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp
Thu Oct 20 05:29:58 CDT 2005

Re the safety aspect of language used in manuals: The aircraft industry is working on it; it's known by several terms, but most often "Simplified English."

http://www.boeing.com/phantom/sechecker/se.html

(I ran across this when Googling for the VOA's "Special English" during a discussion about upper and lower limits of vocabulary size in pidgins/trading jargons.)

>I wonder if there's a living to be made in rewriting some of these
manuals?

A former-programmer friend of mine just landed a job with a firm who writes tech manuals, many for aviation. Her father was an electrical engineer so she can read the drawings. She loves the work, more than she did programming.

"Jeez, what a country! 'Inflammable' means it WILL catch fire!" - Dr. Nick on The Simpsons