[BC] Re: Saving Your Own Life

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Oct 19 09:50:43 CDT 2005

On 18 Oct 2005 at 18:02, Kevin/Tieline Technology wrote:

> Imagine my surprise after about 3 years of working on this TX that I
> find a THIRD breaker box hidden deep inside and down toward the ground
> inside a RACK of all things!!!
>
> I discovered this after I bought an inductor pen that lights up whenever
> it's near AC without having to come into contact with AC.  I had been
> waving it around the TX and down in front at the base of the TX it
> lights up bright red even though I had the front open, breakers were off
> and ground stick was used to check that nothing was live.  The pen had
> found the live AC still going to the low voltage power supply!  Well
> duh!  And I thought I had thought of everything.
>
> I *trusted* the previous engineer who showed me around the TX plant.  I
> wonder if HE knew about the 3rd breaker.
>
> As Cowboy said "Trust, but verify."

So you're the guy who wrote "BEWARE - Breaker on back of panel" on that
piece of plywood. Heh, heh. <G> I got curious the first time I turned
the switch off and the LV PS lights stayed on down on the bottom of the
front panel of the Tx, so I started looking around. Yep. There it was,
hidden under the the bottom unit of the PowerSide on the back of a panel
sporting another breaker switch on the front side.

Who woulda thunk anybody would do something like that? But then, there
is or was a guy around this market who has been known to do some totally
inexplicable things (at least by all known standards of engineering
practice). Probably one of those in most markets.

Therefore .....

My motto is "Don't trust nuthin' until you've tested it yourself WITH
test gear you have tested yourself. Then keep one hand in your pocket
and work in rubber soled shoes."

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037