[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Oct 19 08:37:47 CDT 2005

On 18 Oct 2005 at 17:36, Barry Mishkind wrote:

> At 12:00 PM 10/18/2005, Cowboy wrote
> >  EPROM.
> >  If the base code algorythms reside in a socketed EPROM
> >  of some sort from the beginning, future upgrades are
> >  mechanicly simple, even if never done.
>
>          Given the cheapness of the smaller
>          flash drives, or even small flash cards,
>          wouldn't a slot on the radio to accept
>          an SD or Memory stick be the "easiest"
>          way?  The consumer only has to insert
>          the media.... and the program loader
>          handles the rest.

NO! That's possible, but OTA free is a much better
model and just as easily done in EEPROM with the
right software logic - no new s/w loaded until
confirmed, and with a rollback button on the radio
for listener use in a correct CRC/bad load situation.

>          Still it doesn't cover the issue of who
>          pays.

If left to the listener, many won't upgrade if there
is a cost and no compelling reason except for tech
compliance. People may be ready to accept something
new in car radios that is essentially transparent,
but paying for upgrades? I don't think so.

Thus, if payment and compatibility become issues,
we will be stuck with a "legacy" system that can't
evolve rapidly.

We need a system that can adapt without making radios
obsolete. The alternative is radio itself will become
obsolete IMHO. Unless the standards for upgrades are
embedded in the Rules, radio, as a popular mass
medium will probably wither and die over the next 20
or 30 years. Given the present lack of leadership in
the industry, IMHO it is the most likely outcome.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037