[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Tue Oct 18 23:55:39 CDT 2005

Was this music played on NRSC-5 AM where the Highs are tightly limited to 5
Khz?

If I recall, music sounded lousy on the old T carrier ABC network line too -
and NRSC-5 AM sounds just like that...

36 kB sampling with a full frequency response and low noise would sound better
them ABC network audio. Cassettes sounded better then old network audio!

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Robert Orban <rorban at earthlink.net>
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: RE: [BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

At 02:04 PM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>From: "Bill Sepmeier" <dcpowerandlight at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [BC] RE: HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!
>To: broadcast at radiolists.net
>

> >From: Robert Orban >
> >For a given bitrate, HDC is not quite as good as aacPlusV2. However, I
find
> >the 48 kbps HDC streams to be of "entertainment quality." That is, the
> >artifacts, although certainly audible, do not prevent me from enjoying the
> >content. From a business perspective, I don't think that the quality of 48
> >kbps HDC is going to drive away the mass audience.
>
>Given this evaluation, how can one say that because of a little multipath or
>the occasional AM fading today's FM and AM need replacing then?  Both sound
>better as-is than the low bit rate coding I've heard...  :-)

In the Bay Area, FM many times is not of "entertainment quality" because of
multipath. And AM, through the typical 2 kHz (-3 dB) radio, does not meet
the expectations of most consumers when the programming is music, although
it seems fine for talk.

Also, your preference, or mine, or Dana's, when taken in isolation, is of
absolutely no relevance to the business model of radio broadcasting. Dr.
Sheffield's double-blind listening tests made for the NRSC clearly showed
that in a study with enough participants to permit statistical
significance, listeners from the consumer space preferred the sound of the
HDC codec at 36 kbps to the sound of analog AM. They preferred the digital
to the analog with all genres when compared to three different AM analog
radios. The average mean opinion score when rating sound quality was, one
the average, about 1 to 1.5 points higher for the digital on a scale of 1
to 5. On rock music, gap widened to approximately 2 points in favor of the
digital channel.

Bob Orban