[BC] RE: HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Orban rorban
Tue Oct 18 23:55:03 CDT 2005

At 05:49 PM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>From: RRSounds at aol.com
>Subject: [BC] RE: HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!
>To: broadcast at radiolists.net
>
>Please pardon me if I overly paraphrase...
>
>If I'm reading the NPR report correctly, about 16-17% of listeners would
>"discontinue" (their wording) listening to audio coded at 96 kbps with the
>iBiquity codec. The survey says this may, however, be a factor of the
>audio samples
>used. Maybe a sixth of all listeners just don't like Eric Clapton or The Cars
>(the two "Rock" selections), or think Bizet's "Carmen" is bombastic, I dunno.

Footnote 3 from the report says:

17% of Phase 1 and 16% of Phase 2 participants claimed that they would
discontinue listening to samples coded at
96kbps. However, the mean opinion scores for 96kbps were between 3.5 and
4.2, and thus we believe that this
inflated "discontinue" rate reflects participants' feelings about the
source material, not the quality of the sound
through the coder. Further, during this task we did not give participants
explicit instructions to confine their
judgment to audio quality. Because of these factors, we use 96kbps as our
benchmark, set it to "0" and report on
the difference between participants' rating of 96kbps and other bit rates.