[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Tue Oct 18 20:40:10 CDT 2005

>From: Robert Orban :: Dr. Sheffield's double-blind listening tests made for
>the NRSC clearly showed that in a study with enough participants to permit
>statistical significance, listeners from the consumer space preferred the
>sound of the HDC codec at 36 kbps to the sound of analog AM. They preferred
>the digital to the analog with all genres when compared to three different
>AM analog radios. The average mean opinion score when rating sound quality
>was, one the average, about 1 to 1.5 points higher for the digital on a
>scale of 1 to 5. On rock music, gap widened to approximately 2 points in
>favor of the digital channel.

Bob - Not being as familiar with this study as you are, can I ask you:

Was the study done in real moving automobiles in real traffic with the
random BER muting/blending we can expect in real life, especially in places
like SF where the same multipath will cause these problems at greater levels
of incidence than say, west Texas? Or was it in a lab environment,
stationary, with no artifacts introduced to simulate BER muting/blending?
Just curious ... since if these studies don't emulate/simulate the real
world they're just PR flak....