[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Orban rorban
Tue Oct 18 16:10:40 CDT 2005

At 07:11 AM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!
>

>Robert Orban wrote:
>

> > I think that there will always be a market consisting of people who are
> > too busy or distracted to carefully plan their listening (which sounds a
> > lot like hard work to me)
>
>Bob:
>
>I seems like you are not yet in the non linear universe. I tell my system
>what I
>want to watch on a recurring basis. It goes out and finds and schedules the
>desired content. It is sitting on my DVR when I decide to view it.
>
>If radio had a parallel, I could punch in Grateful Dead Hour and when ever it
>was on, regardless of channel the radio would record.
>
>Of course now it seems the RIAA wants to not only destroy itself but take
>radio
>down with them.

I love my HDTiVo, but I turned off its "suggestions" feature after finding
that 95% of what it was recording automatically didn't interest me at all.
To me, it was yet another example of tech promising more than it actually
delivered (another failure of "artificial intelligence" to deliver the
goods). Right now, I use season passes and have set up some additional
search criteria. (Oddly, the availability of the material in high
definition is not one of the available filters in search.) Ultimately, I
end up with more material recorded than time to watch it.

Also, and not to be too facetious, I have been in the nonlinear universe
ever since I had a record collection, could choose what to listen to and
when, and could make taped compilations of material from the collection. In
order to choose new music to buy, I read magazine reviews and listened to
the radio. The only thing that is different about the new technology is
that the "push" is now automatic and more convenient. The new tech is not
all that revolutionary -- it just searches a large database for you instead
of requiring you to be proactive in searching out new material for
yourself. Indeed, to identify truly revolutionary, paradigm changing tech,
I would have to go all the way back to the availability of consumer audio
tape recorders (which happened in the early '50s) and, probably even more
important, the availability of VHS and Beta video recorders so that
consumers could finally time-shift television. Almost as revolutionary was
the advent of high quality consumer recording on compact cassette and
Sony's introduction of the Walkman.

I am one of those consumers who has watched virtually no live television
for the last 20 years (except for news). Almost everything I watch was
recorded for time-shifting, first on VHS, then on SVHS (I had two  machines
to avoid missing overlapping programs), then on DVD-RW (a disastrously
unreliable Philips machine), and finally on TiVo. And yes, I was skipping
commercials. I also watch a lot of fansubbed anime, available via
BitTorrent and USENET newsgroups.

So yes, there's an interesting new world of entertainment out there, but I
see it as an evolution of tech that been developing over the last 50 years.
The REAL revolution came with the first recording devices available to
consumers.

Bob Orban