[BC] What is left for the industry to do?

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Oct 18 13:49:54 CDT 2005

------ At 10:31 AM 10/18/2005, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>         Can we discuss this from the standpoint
>         of what can be done, instead of the
>         fact that many feel left out up to this point?

I think it's frustration. Michael of Kenwood has made it clear it's a
done deal. He even accused me of harming the industry by criticizing
IBUZ. It's been accepted by (some) broadcasters, cast in stone by
iBorg, station employees can't criticize it without risking their
jobs and you're unpatriotic if you aren't in lockstep with "the system."

There's no wriggle room. With no upgradeability early victims will be
stuck with boat anchors. Expensive ones if you buy a BMW. With the
interference many of us have heard on AM the most positive suggestion
has been to put your AM on a secondary channel. I don't believe
listeners will tolerate it for long. In the decade or two it'll take
to get 1.5 billion receivers changed out AM will have died. I
believe, if every AM lit up today, the band would be dead within a
week. The FCC simply can't restructure allocations as fast as
listeners tune out.

Positive stuff? Mostly that'll have to come from programmers. No
programmer is going to give competitors their secrets. Look at how
much activity there is in the Programming list. It's all classified
information. I'm working on some stuff. All of it is with
non-disclosure agreements that include naming the client. A lot of
manufacturers send me stuff with the understanding I won't say a
word. Much of it hasn't been released, yet. The software I get is in
Beta or just about to be released.

That being the case, we're left with technical positives. For AM I
have none. I expect to be able to experiment with FM very soon. Once
I do I'll be happy to honestly report what I hear.

Rich