[BC] HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

Michael Bergman mbergman42
Tue Oct 18 13:28:12 CDT 2005

>>         192, 128, 96, .... the listeners don't mind 48,
>>         for the most part.

>I haven't heard IBUZ FM, yet, so when someone says 48 I think of MP3.

Still willing to lend you a radio...

>At WGBH, Boston, we prided ourselves on the great quality of our
>audio.

>Those were the days when audio magazines gave awards for FM audio
>quality. Now they rarely even discuss it.

Looking at what sells in the market nowadays, I agree, from the hardware
side.  As far as I can tell, consumers are purchasing cool displays more and
more, and higher-quality audio less and less.  Like everyone else, we're at
the mercy of the market, and eye candy and content plays (iPod adapters,
satellite radio) appear to be putting a lot of pressure on audio quality on
the other side of the antenna.

"Humans should not be allowed to run around loose.  They will surely harm
themselves." Or at least listen to bad audio.  (The quote is from Larry
Niven's Ringworld.)

Mike Bergman