[BC] HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Tue Oct 18 10:28:22 CDT 2005

So what you're saying is that the radio system we develop for the next 50
years should be based on what people "will tolerate".

It seems to me that we're going backwards instead of forward then.

After all, listeners will tolerate 5 kHz AM to listen to the ball game. TV
viewers will tolerate NTSC color TV to watch the Simpsons.

To me at least, a new radio system, especially ne that has to last half a
century should be BETTER then the one it's replacing, not 'tolerable'.

Instead, why aren't we calling our Congressmen and asking them why TV channels
5 and 6 aren't available for HD use, because less then a dozen TV stations
(none in the eastern US to my knowlege) will continue to occupy them after the
HDTV transition.

Instead of implementing a Mickey Mouse, tack on "tolerable" digital radio
system, why not take a bit more time and build one that's BETTER then the one
it replaces?

Look at what the HDTV 'Grand Alliance' did. Because they refused to wait SIX
MONTHS, we got saddled with 8 VSB HDTV, which as about a quarter as robust as
COFDM, the system the rest of the world adopted.

Because they couldn't wait, our HDTV system is INTERLACED, instead of being
progressive scanned (which would have made it compatible with computer
video).

Why does America do this over and over and over?

-D