[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Mike McCarthy Towers
Tue Oct 18 08:03:53 CDT 2005

At the Madison Broadcasters Clinic last week, (and at a local SBE meeting
the week before) this was a pointed topic.  Ibiquity's coding standard and
the rigid limits they have on the dynamic flexibility of the system make it
very difficult to upgrade in the field.  As others have pointed out, once
the receivers are out the door, it's going to be extremely difficult to
un-ring that bell short of making the RX's OTAR upgradeable. The FCC only
last year made that feature legal here in the USA. The multi-casting
escapade is a prime example of this short sighted vision Ibiquity has with
it's keeping the coding system private plan.

One of my bigger beefs with Ibiquity is they are holding back 25% of the
total phase 1 capacity for future data only transmission....at the expense
of audio quality on HD2 and HD3. I think that choice should be left to the
broadcaster who is paying dearly for the license.  In the next couple
years, there will be a complete glut of outgoing data capacity for all
things media. If we are to put our best programming forward, it needs to be
competitive with the audio quality of those services.

Licensees are literally GIVING a good chuck of THEIR spectrum to Ibiquity
for this "data" segment which has yet to be defined.

MM

At 06:45 PM 10/17/2005 -0400, Dan Strassberg wrote