[BC] Digital Radio in Australia - Progress??

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Oct 18 02:11:17 CDT 2005

Goran Thomas wrote:
> I'll have to agree that 128kbps is just too low for MPEG Layer-II to
> sound good. We had our station uplinked to satellite at 128kbps and the
> artifacts were sometimes very noticeable (particularly on voice). Most
> of the time it sounded OK, but even then artifacts were noticeable.

Coding Technologies is working on adding SBR to MPEG Layer II (a.k.a.
MP2), with the intent of helping to improve the quality of lower-bitrate
Eureka-147 DAB channels:

http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/layer2.htm