[BC] IBUZ opinion from an outsider

Ernie Belanger armtx
Mon Oct 17 14:43:03 CDT 2005

Can't agree with you here Phil.

1 There is nothing which says new cars will automatically have IBOC
receivers. Like satellite radio or AM/FM/ CD's it will be an option for the
consumer to purchase, not an automatic. Until the analog is gone, the
standard radio in most car models will remain as AM/FM analog.

It might be a price point thing where all cars over say $25K have them as
standard but not defacto.

While I do agree that you can't delete the radio, but you can only provide
the cheap analog  base radio. With everything else being an optional
upgrade. They may bury the upgrade with some sexy option package like,
electronic mirrors, or heated seats or something like that... but it will be
an upgrade from a base radio which is AM/FM Analog.

2 Your comment  ...at some point being "told" to shut off the Analog????
Possibly but with the monoply issues surrounding HD Radio it needs to remain
voluntary implimentation.  Forcing any owner who chooses not to go digital,
to go digital using the HD standard, is a whole different legal ball of wax
one which can force the whole thing into court..

3 I have to agree with Bob, what the FCC has agreed to allow happen with
totally destroy AM which has been hanging by a thread.  Long ago the FCC
should have heeded the advice of Craig Fox and others who wanted AM moved
into a different band where they could do audio of the same quality of FM
and didn't have the night time skywave issues.

With all of the noise on AM most listeners will take the course of least
resistance which does not cost them anything. That is stop listening to AM.
The noise most likely will not force them to invest in a more expensive
radio.  They will simply cease to exist as AM listeners.

OTOH Most of the programming found on AM can also be found on FM in many
markets. Many may have already switched to the less noisy side of the dial.
The noise our new technology is causing may further the exodus.

my .02 Ernie