[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Goran Tomas goran.tomas
Mon Oct 17 10:52:24 CDT 2005

--- At 17.10.2005.w 09:25, Robert Meuser wrote: ---
>Radio is irrelevant. So is satellite radio. These new methods also are.
>This is an on demand world. The only reason TV still works is that they
>have cable to cover their asses with

Radio can very easily adopt to the on demand mode. Without sacrificing it's
"real-time" mode one bit! You just put your shows on the Internet, make RSS
feeds for podcasting, you put it in 3GPP format for mobile phones and your
done! Anybody with cell phone, smart phone, PDA, notebook or PC connected
to wireless or fixed Internet access, can listen to your show anywhere,
anytime.

And it is already being done. You can listen to any show on BBC radio you
might have missed, through their "Listen Again" service which turned out to
be a great success. They have something like 7 million requests per month.

But, I don't belive "real-time" mode or classic, interactive broadcasting
will go anywhere. There's a difference when you are listening to something
live, as it is happening, rather then listening it afterwards. And I'm not
talking just about news, shows with listeners calling in, etc.

On-demand is not a threat to radio.

Regards,
Goran Tomas