[BC]

Craig Bowman craig1
Mon Oct 17 07:25:41 CDT 2005

I have (and use) a vector impedance analyzer which provides the same results at a much more reasonable price.

Craig Bowman

-----Original Message-----
From: cldube <cld at admin.umass.edu>
Sent: Oct 17, 2005 8:19 AM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: Re: [BC]

Thanks Dana-

Chuck
----- Original Message -----
From: "DANA PUOPOLO" <dpuopolo at usa.net>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 1:44 AM

The absolute way to tune an antenna system is with a Network Analyzer.
Several times now, I've found VSWR problems with antennas who showed zero
reflected power on Birdwattchers and the VSWR meters on transmitters. In
every
case, a noticeable reduction of multipath occurred. In the case of KIIS in
Los
Angeles, they had been running RCA 10 kw tube rigs at 7100 watts out since
the
late 1970's which both showed zero reflected power on their VSWR meters, yet
when we put their new SS Nautel on the antenna it folded back to 600 watts!!
We had a Jampro engineer fly in with their Nework Analyzer and it showed the
return loss of the system to be equalivent to a 1.7:1 VSWR. They had been
running for 25 years this way! We refurbished and retuned the 2 bay
Penetrator
antenna in the field and when we were done we had 7100 forward watts and
under
12 watts reflected. The arms were all four inches too long, and the gamma
match was off by over three inches. As found, the antenna was resonant on
101.9; they are 102.7. That morning when I drove home listening to the
station, areas where multipath was bad before were completely clean! AND..I
wasn't the only one who noticed it either...Rick Dees' board op mentioned on
the air how good the station sounded on his way in (He lives in Malibu and
there used to be places on his drive in where  multipath had made KIIS
unlistenable - but not any more!).

It's the best 3500 bucks any FM station can spend....

-D