[BC] WE Field Engineering

RLO2L@aol.com RLO2L
Sat Oct 15 18:55:32 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/15/2005 11:21:07 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
DHultsman5 at aol.com writes:

Can you  imagine tube amplifiers laying on the floor of the Atlantic ocean
amplifying telephone carriers.

Dave and others:

For an extremely informative look at the vacuum technology through the
years, get a copy of the book, "75 Years of Western Electric Tube  Manufacturing,"
by Bernard Magers.

I paid 23.82 for a new copy plus shipping from Antique Electronics Supply,
LLC in Tempe, Az.! Their phone number is 480-820-5411.

I was fortunate to live through the exciting years of 1960 through 1989 as
an employee of Ma Bell both in plan operations and later engineering
departments. In operations we used many of the very original vacuum tubes  constructed
by Bell Labs and damned if they weren't still In Service!

I remember in 1980 writing the AT&T specs for the demise of the South  Bend
Scoot street AT&T office. We powered down old vacuum tube amplifiers  still
using the 102 series vacuum tube amplifiers that were carrying voice  traffic on
the New York to Chicago cables!

Another source of fascinating reading is the Principles of Electricity
applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work, published by AT&T. For its  Employees!

Mom's calling for supper. Gotta go.

Russel L.  O'Toole, P.C.
R&M Consulting

31 Ponderosa  Drive