[BC] WE Field Engineering

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sat Oct 15 11:25:57 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/15/2005 9:12:01 A.M. Central Standard Time,
RLO2L at aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 10/15/2005 12:07:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dpuopolo at usa.net writes:

because  the DC was sent at a decent  current too as it also has to power  the
filaments in all those  tubes

Don't remember how the under-sea stuff amps  worked but the L carrier amps
used AC and each amplifier had a  transformer power supply that dropped the
high
voltage down to the  filament and plate voltages (after  rectification)!

Another thing about cables,  many of you are too young to remember in  1952
when AT&T did the coaxial cable across the USA for television.   They had
actually done a microwave system but the reliability was a problem and  a buried
coaxial cable mainly for televison crossed the USA.  Again relays  every so many
miles.  Usually followed hiways or near railroad right of  ways.  Little
white buildings every 50 to 60 miles with amplifiers and  battery supplies.  In
the early '50's TV in cities like Dallas,  would  lose network coaxial cable
feeds regularly sometimes for short periods of time  sometimes for hours.
Stations would fill the time with slides   "TROUBLE ON THE CABLE" and music from
recordings.  Sometimes rack up last  weeks  US Army's "Big Picture"  on film to
fill.

It is so amazing what we have and take for granted in our electronic  world.
I can remember when it took ten to 15 minutes to arrange  to make a long
distance telephone call from Dallas to Los  Angeles. Dallas called Dallas call tp
Las Cruces, then to  Pheonix, the to Los Angeles,  then they would ring you
back at your home.  Before direct long distance dialing.  We have come along way
in  50 years.

Dave Hultsman